Municipality of Brdovec
The Municipality of Brdovec is situated in the western part of Zagreb County, in the area bordering on Slovenia. The majority of settlements and commercial entities are found in the central part of the municipality, along the main transport corridor Zagreb–Ljubljana (road and rail). The northern part is made up of gentle hills covered in forests, vineyards and many weekend houses.
The Brdovec parish is one of the oldest parishes in the Zagreb Diocese, and it was established in 1334. The seat of the parish once stood on a hill, hence the name (brdo = hill), where the Chapel of the Holy Cross stands today, which now belongs to the Marija Gorica parish. Only later was the parish seat moved to the lowlands where the present day parish church was built and consecrated in 1679. In the past, the Brdovec parish covered a larger territory (Marija Gorica and parts of the Rozga and Pušća parishes, while Zaprešić only became in independent parish in 1946). Today, the Brdovec parish extends along the Sava River valley from Zaprešić to the Sutla River, which is also the state border with Slovenia. The patron saint of the Brdovec parish is St. Vitus the Martyr.
Parish Church of St. Vitus the Martyr (Brdovec) – this Baroque church was consecrated to the patron saint of the parish, St. Vitus the Martyr, in 1679. Legend says that one morning, at the site of the present day church the locals found a statue of St. Vitus that had floated down the Sava and was caught in a willow tree, and to they decided to build a church at that site. St. Vitus is celebrated as a martyr who gave his life for Christ during the period of the Diocletian persecution of Christians in 304/305 AD. He was only about ten years old. The story says that he was cast into a vat of boiling oil. Today St. Vitus is celebrated as the patron saint of mental patients and the blind, people with speech problems, and he is also celebrated by wine-makers, beer-makers and pot makers. His feast day is celebrated on 15 June.
Januševec Palace (Prigorje Brdovečko) – this is a monument of the highest (zero) category and one of the loveliest Classicist palaces in Croatia. It was built by the retired General Vrkljan in 1828, who once served as Finance Minister to Napoleon’s second wife, Marie Louise. He entrusted its construction to Bartol Felbinger, Croatia’s best Classisict architect. In 1845, the castle was sold to E. Corberon, and later changed owners often. In May 1945, it was damaged in an explosion. It was renovated in the 1970s. The three story palace fits beautifully into the landscape and is adapted to the slight plateau. The simple rectangular form is divided proportionally into classicist porticos on the northern and southern facades, while the western side opens into a loggia. The interior is dominated by a central, circular hall, 11 m high, covered with an 8 m dome. The interior walls were painted with vistas of various cities. Once the palace was surrounded by an English garden. Today it is used by the State Archive.
Vranyczany-Dobrinović Palace (Laduč) – Baron Vladimir Vranyczany-Dobrinović entrusted construction of this palace to architect K. Waidman in 1882. This is a two story palace with altan on the facade, and the interior stands out for its formal, two-wing staircase with balustrade that leads to the first floor. The fantastic ceilings paintings are the work of Ivan Klausen. The grounds in front of the palace are a French garden. Today, the palace is a children’s home.
Baltazar Adam Krčelić (Šenkovec, 05.02.1715 – Zagreb, 29.3.1778) – Croatian historian, theologian and lawyer. He served as Zagreb canon and chancellor of the Croatian college in Vienna. He wrote in Latin and in the Kajkavian dialect of the Croatian language, and his main works were dedicated to Zagreb sacral history to the mid 17th century and the political history of the Kingdom of Croatia to 1564. After Vitezović, he is the most prominent figure in Croatian culture of his time.
Ivan Perkovac (Harmica, Brdovec, 23.5.1826 – Samobor, 16.4.1871) – publicist, editor of Pozor and Vienac, member of the Croatian Parliament, secretary of Matice Hrvatske.
Mihovil Krušlin (Ključ 04.09.1882 – Zagreb 05.06.1962) – one of Croatia’s most significant landscape artists. He graduated from the Higher School for Arts and Crafts in Zagreb in 1911 (under M.C. Crnčić), and underwent specialised training in Paris and Italy.