Brdovec, Dubravica, Marija Gorica The beauty and grandeur of the castles

Municipality of Marija Gorica

The Municipality of Marija Gorica lies in the northwestern part of Zagreb County. It is primarily a hilly region. The small, lowland part of the municipality extends in the west to the Sutla River, which is also the border line between Croatia and Slovenia. On the southeastern side, the municipality is bounded by the municipality of Brdovec, to the northeast by the municipality of Pušća, and to the north by the municipality of Dubravica. The highest geographical point of this area is the Kipišće hill (altitude 312 m), and Lipa hill (297 m). The Sveti Križ hill, with its altitude of 310 m is also an important hill and viewing point. Looking from here to the east, Mount Medvedinca dominates with its impressive appearance, while the view to the north extends all the way to the Macelj hills. Turning to the west, the view falls over the Sutla River and Sava River valleys in Slovenia, the town of Brežice, Krško, and the Slovenian hills, and even the snowy peaks of the Alps are visible. The municipality has good road and rail connections with the City of Zagreb, 26 km away.

Cultural heritage

crkva-blazene-marije-od-pohodjenja

Parish Church of the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Parish Church of the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary – With the arrival of the Franciscans from the Franciscan province of Bosnia to Sveta Gorica (later called Marija Gorica), the church and monastery complex were constructed from 1517–1527, and were originally consecrated to St. Peter the Apostle. In the early 17th century, the Franciscans tried to turn the church in St. Gorica into a pilgrimage church, as the Blessed Virgin Mary was worshipped here due to the miraculous statue of Our Lady that the bishop fleeing from Bosnia donated to the monastery church. For that purpose, the Franciscans renovated and expanded the monastery in 1616, and with the dedication of Zagreb Bishop Martin Borković, the heavenly patron of the church was changed. At the same time, the name of the settlement was also changed to Marija Gorica, after the new name of the church. Construction of the new monastery began in 1733, and the new Baroque church was constructed from 1754–1758. The church interior was already complete and furnished by 1761. According to the annal Mjestopis by Bishop Maksimilijan Vrhovec, the new Marija Gorica parish was established in 1789, and the Franciscans remained here another 40 years, when the old monastery was destroyed in a fire. The new parish court was constructed in 1837.

Sv. Križ (Brdovečki) – archaeological site in the village of Sv. Križ Brdovečki. Archaeological research has confirmed that an urban settlement existed at the site of the present day Church of the Holy Cross and cemetery in the Iron Age, in about 700 B.C. Numerous ceramic fragments of various household dishes and traces of inhabitation have been found. A grave has also been uncovered in which the deceased was buried together with his horse and all the equipment it wore when alive. Such a grave is called a prince’s grave.

Famous residents

Croatia’s greatest realist writer, Ante Kovačić, was born in Oplaznik in 1854. His most significant works were: Baruničina ljubav, Fiškal, Izabrane pjesme, Sabrane pripovijesti, U registraturi, Pripovijesti, Stihovi, Feljtoni i članci, Pjesme and more. A monument plaque to the writer was revealed on the house of his birth in Oplaznik to commemorate the 100th anniversary of his birth.

Ivan Pernar was born in the municipality. He was a member of the HSS party and was wounded in the Belgrade Assembly together with Stjepan Radić and others.

Interesting facts

Hoe tusker from Marija Gorica – the crest of the Municipality of Marija Gorica depicts a strange creature – the hoe tusker, or a pre-elephant scientifically identified as Dinotherium giganteum. The discovery of various strange find have marked the past of many European cities, and the discovery of fossilized bones, tusks or horns has created legends of the prehistoric life and origin of many places. The scientific interpretation of these fossils raised palaeontology to the level of a scientific discipline, and these European discoveries of the hoe tusker created the myth of these mysterious and terrible mammals from the geological past. The first discovery of the toe husker, Dinotherium in Croatia was made in Marija Gorica in the early 20th century, when chaplain G. Habek and pupil J. Župana found the fossil remains of this giant animal. Six teeth were discovered, three from the upper and three from the lower jaw, and several other indeterminable bones and teeth from the lower jaw of Rhinoceros.

Više informacija

TZ PODRUČJA "Savsko sutlanska dolina i brigi" (Brdovec, Dubravica, Marija Gorica)
Ilije Gregurića 13
10291 Brdovec,
Tel. +385 1 3398 747
turistickazajednica.dib@gmail.com, www.turistickazajednica-dib.hr

Događanja