Pokupsko Pokupsko A place of safe future

History

The old history of Pokupski is closely related to the history of the former cistern monastery Topusko and later to the history of the Ban border and the parts around Topusko. In the earliest documents Pokupsko is mentioned as one of the areas of economically powerful and then very influential abbey Topusko. With the arrival of the Turks in the Croatian territories and the establishment of a boundary line towards the Ottoman Empire, Pokupsko gains an important role in the defense system, which soon becomes the name of the military border. Kaštel Pokupsko resisted the Turks’ penetration until the defeat of the Turks under Vienna in 1682. From then on and throughout the entire period of the wars with the Turks until the final demilitarization of the military border – ie its return to the rule of Croatian parliament and ban – the area around Kupe and Pokupski played an important role in Croatian history.

A special place in the history of Pokupski is taken by Paul Chemos, writer, reverend, and pastor in Pokupsko. After Chemios moved from Zagreb to Pokupsko he continued to perform his writer’s work and spread the culture of that time. In the parish house in Pokupski are exhibited antiquities of the parish priest Pavle Štos, records, documents, prayer books and books he used in his work as his ceremonial clothes.

In the recent history of Pokupsko there was a line of defense from the Serbian aggressor, which pokupsko and the places around it destroyed to the discernment, but in spite of that Pokupsko is today a modern and successful municipality.