Each house a monument
At lovely King Tomislav Square, the central Samobor square, each building is a protected cultural monument of the first cathegory. When in 1925 the house of Samoborska štedionica (Samobor Savings Bank), the present Samoborska banka, was built at number 8 the square was given its final look. At house number 1 is a corner one-storey building built around the year 1800. This is where architect Franjo Gabrić was born. Today this house is the Livadić hotel and a coffee-house. Around that same year the house at number 3 was built, where once hotel “Gradu Trstu” was. In the coffee-shop of that hotel the first Samobor reading-room was founded. At number 5 is the City Hall. It was built according to design of a famous town architect of Zagreb Mr. Bartol Felbinger. On the building’s front the relief in honour of mayors F. Livadić and Lj. Šmidhen were placed at the beginning of the 20th century. A single-storey house at no. 5, by the bridge headed towards Perkovčeva street, originates from the 18th century but a wing was added in the 19th century. In 1908 Franjo Gabrić designed a two-storey house at number 11, whose front was built in the Secession style. A building at number 14, today’s confectionery and ice-cream shop was also built in the Secession style. In the past there was a coffee house in this building where a famous Croatian writer Antun Gustav Matoš used to come when he lived upstairs from it.
Matica Hrvatska Square, one time ‘swine market’ is a beautiful promenade today. A small river Gradna that flows in the direction west-east connects the Old Town, museum, King Tomislav Square and Matica Hrvatska Square. The Gradna, springing from two sources in the Samobor hills, with backwaters meeting at the western entrance to Samobor, nearby the church of St. Michael, “is skipped” by many bridges, though the one connecting King Tomislav Square and Ivana Perkovca street, is the most prominent. It was built in 1906 and at the time was the second of the kind and size in Europe as it was built of reinforced concrete.
Underneath the Old town is the old part of Samobor, Taborec with wooden houses and Gothic style church of St. Michael reconstructed in the Baroque style. The central altar was built in 1706 in the Baroque style, and St. Catherine’s altar in 1736.