Roman heritage Šćitarjevo, a settlement 8 km northwest of Velika Gorica, is the home of many valuable and important archaeological sites. This is where Andautonia, the seat of an Illyrian tribe and a Roman municipality, used to be. The town was built in the shape of an irregular hexagon. Archaeologists found the remains of Roman buildings, thermal complex, roads, wall paintings, plastering featuring herbal decorations. They also found tools, tableware, glassware, jewellery, money from the period between the 1st and 4th centuries. Altar dedicated to the god of the River Sava was also found, along with reliefs. A relief featuring Nemesis might lead to a conclusion that Gladiator games were once held most probably in an amphitheatre made of wood. Stone monuments were found scattered around farmyards. The traces of ancient Roman times were found in Donja Lomnica as well (5 km west of Velika Gorica): the remains of a Roman road and a grave from the 2nd century. In Buševac, 10 km southeast of Velika Gorica the remains of ancient Roman road were also found.
In Šćitarjevo you should also see the church of St. Martin that was first mentioned in 1334. The church was reconstructed in the first half of the 18th century. It is a single-nave church with sacristy adjacent to a round-shaped shrine, steeple next to the main facade and a side chapel representing the older part of the church. Around the church is a fence that was built in 1772. Inside the church one can see partly preserved Baroque artefacts: statues, monstrance (1765), two reliquaries, bells from 1630 and 1761 respectively.