Aristrocratic Turopolje Municipality
In Velika Gorica region you’ll be able to see valuable monuments from later periods. In the town centre for example you can visit the so-called Turopolje grad. It is in fact a one-storey building square-shaped with a porch facing the park. It was built somewhere around the year 1765. This used to be the seat of ‘Aristocratic Turopolje Municipality’. In the upstairs hall decorated with stucco and fresco ornaments the assembly meetings used to be held. Today this building is the house of the Museum of Turopolje that was established in 1960. The Museum has archaeological, ethnographic, cultural and historic collections. The parish church of the Annunciation built between 1686 and 1990 was restored in 1893 by architect H. Bollé in classicist style. The church furniture is from that period, too.
The attraction of Donja Lomnica is a Modić-Bedeković wooden one-storey kurija from 1806.The kurija is a beautiful example of the original secular country architecture that used to be built by the members of lower aristocracy.
Nine kilometres west of Velika Gorica is a Baroque castle Lukavec. This square-shaped castle features the inner ward with arcades and four prismal towers on each corner. Above the entrance with a Baroque portal and coat of arms from 1752 there is a high tower. Under the tower there was a chapel of St Lucy in which assembly meetings of the Turopolje aristocracy used to be held. The castle is surrounded by a ditch and has embrasures. In front of the castle there used be a town made of wooden houses first mentioned in the 15th century.
In Vukovina, 4 km southeast of Velika Gorica there is a late Baroque-Classicist parish church of St Mary. This is a single nave church, the dome with lantern is above the nave while the apse of the shrine is oval. Adjacent to the shrine is sacristy. The steeple was built later. The church furniture originates from the period when the church was reconstructed i.e. around 1805 and some objects are from the baroque period, chalice for example. In the neighbouring Stari Čič don’t miss the wooden parish kurija from 1831. A single nave wooden kurija called Alapić, with rococo details, features a high hipped roof.