Most valuable organs


When people gather to express their faith through music, there is only one instrument which can create the original, eternal, spiritual sound – the organ. As the central instrument of religious life in the majority of religious structures, the organ has a special role. The magical sound of organ music always has been and always will be the embodiment of the praise of God. The sound of the organ fills the space like a wave of symphonic strength felt everywhere. Interesting information is also the identity of the protector of music; St. Cecilia playing the positive organ and David playing the harp, are a common detail on organs and the interior of churches in the County. The tradition considered David as author of psalms and he is listed among the most frequent personalities in Christian iconography.

Saint Cecilia (Lat. Caecilia) – according to the popular legend, Cecilia was a daughter of a Roman patrician (3rd ct.) who raised her as a Christian. It was considered that Cecilia was so close to heaven during her lifetime that she could hear angels sing. People told that she could play every instrument, but that special talent of hers was not sufficient for her to express all the abundance of heavenly melodies that was swelling inside her soul. So she invented the organ and dedicated it to liturgy. For that reason, Saint Cecilia is honored as the protector of music and musicians. She appears in paintings listening to music, singing or playing an instrument, and her particular distinction is the organ.

The first Croatian ¬workshop of the organ, harmony and piano was established in 1849 under the name “Heferer Organs”. The Faulend – Heferer workshop in cooperation with the Zagreb Concert Direction organizes the “Festival of Restored Instruments” in the summer season on restored organs from various cultural instrumental eras.

Church of St. John the Evangelist

Cerje

Organ with 1 manual and pedal by the Heferer company, built in 1893. Good quality work by the domestic workshop, and well preserved.

Information:
Church, Cerje,
Tel. +385 1 2046 806

Chapel of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Dol

The organ has six registers, no pedals, has a mechanical system with tracking action, and was created by the Celje master Antun Scholz in about 1782. The instrument was successfully restored in the Heferer workshop, and with its exceptional Rococo casing is one of the most beautiful organ units from the 18th ct.

Information:
Chapel, Dol
Tel. +385 1 6270 080

Oršić Castle, Chapel of St. Joseph

Gornja Bistra

Organ with 5 registers and a mechanical system and tracker action has been preserved in the court chapel of the 18th ct. Oršić Castle. The organ represents a true Gesamtkunswerk quality instrument and a masterfully etched Rococo case. It was built by Antun Scholtz in about 1780.

Information:
Chapel, Gornja Bistra,
Tel. +385 1 3390 611

Parish Church of the Lady of Snow

Dubranec

Mechanical organ, earlier with 18 registers is the work of the Zagreb company Heferer from 1883, it was completely destroyed in the Second World War and looted in the end. The case, though damaged, was preserved completely, and was designed by Herman Bollé.

Information:
Church, Dubranec,
Tel. +385 1 6267 407

Church of St. Peter the Apostle

Ivanić Grad

Organ with 14 registers, 2 manuals and pedal. It was built in 1909 by Antonin Molzer from Kutne Hore. The organ is characterized by the beautiful sound of strong Romantic softness. This is a high line factory made product. It has been preserved.

Information:
Church, Ivanić Grad,
Tel. +385 1 2889 030

Church of St. Nicholas

Jastrebarsko

Organ by the Heferer company from 1894 was built with 12 registers, 2 manuals and pedal. The organ is a valuable work of domestic masters and is well preserved.

Information:
Church, Jastrebarsko
Tel. +385 1 6281 756

Franciscan Monastery

Jastrebarsko

Organ with 7 registers, 1 manual and pedal was built by Josip Brandt in 1912.

Information:
Monastery, Jastrebarsko,
Tel. +385 1 6282 110

Parish Church of the Holy Trinity

Moravče (area of the City of Zagreb, bordering with Zagreb County)

Pneumatic organ with 14 registers, 2 manuals and pedal is the 173rd opus of the Zagreb company Heferer. It was built in 1899 and represents a high quality work with a lovely rich sound.

Information:
Church, Moravče,
Tel. +385 1 2042 471

Parish Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary

Kloštar Ivanić

Organ is a large instrument with a mechanical system with wooden abstracts, two manuals and pedal, the work of the well known Zagreb master from the 19th ct. Pavao Pump. In Croatia, this organ represents one of the greatest works from the Biedermeier period. It was restored in 1988.

Information:
Church, Kloštar Ivanić,
Tel. +385 1 2831 400

Church of Rising of St. Cross

Kravarsko

Organ with 8 registers, manual and pedal was the 258th opus of the Heferer company in 1965. This is a new modern organ, with very good sound, and has been well maintained.

Information:
Church, Kravarsko,
Tel. +385 1 6237 337

Church of St. Martin

Dugo Selo

Organ with 8 registers, 1 manual and pedal was built by the company Heferer around 1900. In 1958, the organ received new details and a pneumatic register. The instrument is in use.

Information:
Church, Dugo Selo
Tel. +385 1 2750 207

Parish Church of St. Barbara

Rude

Mechanical organ on the choir with 6 registers were built in 1913, restored and redone in 1967. This work of Antonio Melzer is nowadays still used.

Parish Church of the Procession of Mary

Marija Gorica

Organ with 14 registers, two manuals and pedal, with a mechanical system is the work of I. J. Eisle from 1759. The original organ was preserved and is a rare example of the artistically and historically valued instrument in northern Croatia. Situated in a colossal case, with its original paint, this organ is of exceptional artistic value and together with the organs from Lepoglava and Čazma, represent the highest achievement in our organ-making of the 18th ct.

Information:
Church, Marija Gorica
Tel. +385 1 3395 848

Franciscan Church of St. Mary

Samobor

Organ with 16 registers, two manuals and pedal, with a mechanical system and tracker action. Master Antun Weiner left the description of himself as the builder and the date of it creation as 1738. He was educated in Graz, in the workshop of well-known master K. Mittereitter. Apart from the Paulist organ in Lepoglava, Weiner’s piece is the most significant instrument in northern Croatia, one of the few from the first half of the 18th ct. which has been preserved, virtually in its original conditions, and with an excellent phonetic quality. The case is also a masterpiece. It was made from one block of wood and built into the choir railing.

Information:
Crkva, Samobor
Tel. +385 1 3360 810

Church of St. Nicholas

Donja Zelina

Organ with 8 registers, 1 manual and pedal was built by Josip Brandtl from Maribor in 1908. The instrument was neglected and is out of use.

Information:
Church, Donja Zelina
Tel. +385 1 2065 143

Parish Church of St. Peter and Paul

Veleševec

Mechanical organ system with 12 registers, two manuals and pedal are the work of Michael Heferer, and was built in 1874. The organ is an interesting accomplishment by local masters. It also deserves to be noted as the earliest piece by the founder of the Heferer company and as the largest organ to be built in Croatia at that time.

Information:
Church, Veleševec
Tel. +385 1 6239 265

Parish Church of St. Leonard

Kotari

In the Diarium monastery, we learned that the organ was obtained in 1742, without reference to the builder or place of origin. The instrument is a work of late Baroque art of great historical and museum value. The organ has a mechanical system with tracker action, 7 registers and one manual. The organ is especially interesting in the aspect of the musical system considering the Mixtura register, in which Croatia has no analogy. The case of the organ is one of the most valuable creations of wood engraving in Croatia. The organ was restored by the Faulend-Heferer company in 1992.

Information:
Church, Kotari
Tel. +385 1 3381 518

Parish church of St. Martin

Sveti Martin pod Okićem

The organ was for the first time mentioned in 1745, and today’s organ comes form 1886 and makes part of the Heferer work. It has 8 registers, 1 manuals and pedal and it was restored several times. The organ was electrified and is still used today often serving as the instrument of concerts.

Information:
Church, Sveti Martin pod Okićem,
Tel. +385 1 3382 161,
Internet: www.zupa-svetimartin.hr

Church of the Holy Trinity

Krašić

The organ was built in 1892 by Mijo Heferer. The instrument has 8 registers, 1 manual and pedal is a successful creation of the prominent Zagreb company.

Information:
Church, Krašić
Tel. +385 1 6270 703

Church of the Procession of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Vukovina

This pneumatic organ with 13 registers, two manuals and pedal was built by the Maribor master Josip Brandl in 1904. It was restored and electrified by Fathers Gabrijel Posavec and Velimir Kostrevec from Ivanić Grad, and as such it was first played on 30 September 2001.

Information:
Church, Vukovina
Tel. +385 1 6230 300