Parish Churches


Church of the Holy Cross, Križ

In the settlement.

Crkva-sv-Kriza-KrizThe name first appears in the 13th ct., and the parish in 1334. The single nave Gothic structure with Baroque features has a narrow square sanctuary with polygonal apse, sacristy and bell tower along the northern wall of the nave and the sanctuary. The medieval layers preserved in the buttresses following the outer lines of the church, and the lower level of the bell tower has the appearance of a castle tower. The church was given a vault in the Baroque renovations in 1693, and the renovations in 1729 brought with them the vaulting of the nave. The Baroque inventory from the first half of the 18th ct. has been preserved, including the great main altar with the group of the Crucifixion and 4 sculptures in the lower and 6 sculptures in the upper zone from 1720 in the early Baroque style; the right altar of St. Rok with 3 large and 4 small sculptures (1761); the left altar of St. Anthony with 3 large and 4 small sculptures (1761); the pulpit with its wooden relief and sculptures; the organ with 3 figures of angels.

Information:
Trg Sv. Križa 3, 10314 Križ
Tel. ++ 385 1 2824 747, 2824 414
Marijan Koren, žpk
Holly mass: Every day 7.30, Sundays: 9, 11 h.

Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary of Okić, Novo Selo Okićko

At the graveyard.

Crkva-BDM-OkickeThe Okić parish is mentioned on the list of parishes as early as 1334. It was being restored throughout the whole of the 17th ct. (the bell tower as it appears today is mentioned in 1649). In 1668, the walled courtyard is erected again, as is the portal with the Erdödy grave and the sculpture of the Blessed Virgin Mary with two angels.

Of exceptional value are the portals with their sculptures situated at the top of the gable: two kneeling angels on the sides and a figure of the Virgin Mary standing upon the crest of the Erdödy family, surrounded by the figures of angels painted on the wall. The etched year, 1691, and the form of such high quality suggest the style of the Zagreb sculptor Komersteiner.

The interior was completely renovated from 1888-1890 when the walls were painted according to the sketches of August Posilović and painted by F. Quiquerez, and the new main and side altars were added. Most of the walls are covered by herbal motifs in intensive colors; the sanctuary contains painted medallions with the figures of saints, while the central medallion shows the Annunciation. The stone floor was added in 1762 (and is still in place today!) when the pulpit was added.

The main altar of St. Mary is by the same master, with sculptures of the Blessed Virgin Mary, St. Peter and St. Paul and 4 smaller sculptures of saints; as well as the two side altars of St. Vitus and St. Joseph in the side nave; and three Rococo Baroque altars from 1770, St. Cross, St. Anthony in the main nave and St. Barbara in the side nave; the Rococo pulpit is painted (Christ the Shepherd); the organ from the late 19th ct. Also preserved is the late Renaissance stone free standing holy water vessel, and the raised holy water vessel embellished with flower petals and cross motifs.

Information:
Parish office:
Repišće 42b, Okićka Sveta Marija, 10450 Jastrebarsko
Tel. ++ 385 1 6294 200,
Ivica Cik, parson
Mob. ++ 385 91 2712 968
Visits after announcement: (zvonar Ignac Tandavić) Tel. ++ 385 1 6294 043
Holly mass: Sundays: 9 h, Holidays: 9 i 11 h.

Church of the Procession of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Marija Gorica

In the settlement.

Crkva-pohoda-BDM-Marija-Gorica-1-2Built in 1517 as part of the Franciscan monastery, which was built at the same time. After the partial closure of the Franciscan Order in the 18th ct., the monastery caved in (1789), while earlier a new church had been built (1754) and the parish established in 1781. The church was built by a master builder Matija Leonhart. The inventory preserved is very valuable: a Gothic sculpture of the Blessed Virgin Mary on the main marble altar (very rare in northern Croatia) from 1757 by the Italian master Francesco Bensa, the stone pulpit, organ etc.

Information:
Gorički trg 1, 10299 Marija Gorica
Tel. ++ 385 1 3395 848
Ivan Kobešćak, pastor
Holly mass: On Sundays: 8, 11 h , Visits after announcement.

Wooden Church of St. Barbara, Velika Mlaka

The most attractive and most representative example of Baroque sacral architecture.

Sveta-Barbara-2The parish was established in 1976, when the Chapel of St. Barbara became the parish church. The church interior, walls, ceiling and altar are decorated with paintings and plant ornamentation to the smallest detail. The church was built from excellent Turopolje oak “planks”, joined in the “German angle”. It has survived three centuries and time has not stolen any of its original beauty. It was first mentioned back in 1692, though it existed earlier. The oldest part of the church dates back to 1642, which is the date carved into the covered entrance into the church, which was added on to in 1912. This is also the year that the bell tower was added and is considered the year in which the church received its current appearance. The oldest paintings date back to 1699, and the main, winged early Baroque altar with twelve scenes by an unknown artist date back to 1679. On the outer sides of the wings are motives from the life of St. Barbara, while on the inner sides are motives of the Passion of Christ. Particularly interesting is the painting of St. Kümmernisse, a female saint with a beard, the patron saint of people in trouble. This painting is from 1759. Also interesting is the legend of the poor gusla (local string instrument) player and the female saint with the beard. On the right hand side of the altar is the figure of St. George battling the dragon. This saint is one of the most common motifs and one of the most beloved saints of the Turopolje region, and is celebrated on 23 April with a great bonfire and events held under the Lukavec Old Town. In the church courtyard is a one-story wooden watchtower with veranda made of richly carved wood, which is today’s parish court, and the small wooden chamber for holding wheat, the remains of the former church economy, is also interesting.

Information:
Školska bb, 10408 Velika Mlaka
Church key: Parish office: Velika Mlaka,
tel. +385 1 6234 761
mob. 098 623 173
Key keeper: Mrs. Ljubica Lacković
Ulica Svete Barbare 44
tel. +385 1 6234 772.
Proštenje: 4.12., Holly mass on Sundays at 8 i 11 sati.

St. Lawrence Church, Lovrečka Varoš

Pulpit shaped as Jonah’s fish

Crkva-Sv-Lovre-Lovrecka-Varos-izvana-staro-procelje-300x300Lovrečka Varoš is an old settlement in which the parish of St. Lawrence existed already in the Middle Ages, with a church after which the village was named. The nearby lowlands fortification, Lovrečina Grad, was also named after St. Lawrence. The village Lovrečka Varoš always belonged to it. The today’s church dates back to the second half of the 18th ct. and has the features of the late-Baroque style, with indications of classicism.

What makes this church significant in the history of art in these parts is its pulpit shaped as Jonah’s fish with ivy, from 1780. A rarity in the world history of art, because there are only few more of them in the Czech Republic and in Germany, and this is the only one further to the east than the Czech Republic.

Jonah was an Old Testament prophet, which was sent by God to preach repentance and penitence to the city of Niniva detested by the Jews. But, Jonah was not willing to submit to the will of God and he fled by ship. God raised a terrible storm at the sea and the frightened sailors threw a dice, whereby they chose Jonah and cast him overboard, believing him to be the cause of the storm, the wrath of God. As soon as Jonah fell into the sea, the storm calmed and the ship sailed on safely. Then, Jonah was swallowed by a fish and after three days and nights, which he spent in the belly of the fish, he repented and promised obedience to God. The fish cast him up onto shore and he went to preach to Niniva. The inhabitants of Niniva repented for their sins and did penance, and God spared them from destruction. Jonah was unsatisfied because of the mercy God has shown over the sinful city, so he sat down and watched the city from afar. Over the night, ivy grew, which protected Jonah from heat as an arbor, but, on the second day, worms gnawed through the ivy and the sun dried it. Jonah became sad, and God gave him a lesson: “You pity the ivy, and how could I not pity Niniva!”

Information:
Parish office: Lovrečka Varoš, pastor Ivan Grudiček,
tel. + 385 1 2799 089